VICTORIA SCHOOL OF VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
The existing Victoria School is currently comprised of 41,975 sq. m. with 420 elementary, 500 junior high, approximately 1,080 high school students and a teaching staff of 100. The school currently houses approximately 2,000 students.
The site of the school has served as a public school site since it was acquired by the School District from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1909. In 1985, the facility was converted into a K to 12 School with an “arts” program focus.
Over the course of the past 22 year period, this school has evolved from a neighbourhood school to an arts program “magnet” school attracting students beyond Edmonton including the Province of Alberta, throughout Canada and internationally through its provision of the International Baccalaureate Program.
The existing school and its various support systems presented specific environmental concerns and did not support the current building standards for educational facilities of this type.
Following a detailed study of a modernization/new construction approach with selective demolition, it was determined to be the most appropriate and cost effective solution.
The design provides facility modernization and new additions based on a capped enrolment of 1,700 students. The site has also been redeveloped to address concerns related to student safety, appropriate school bus and student drop off, parking, a relocated and protected elementary playground and a new primary entrance for the school.
The Victoria School building renewal project represents the fourth significant public education facility era at this location, and provides right sizing of building area, better reflecting today’s values for efficient, sustainable facilities.